Century21 Sweet Home Blog

Retiring and Teaching English in Thailand

If you have decided to retire in Thailand, you might already be thinking of enjoying the rest of your life with all the culture, attractions, and experiences the country has to offer. However, some retirees find themselves looking for work options as well to keep them occupied. One such occupation is teaching.

You can try looking for an English teaching job if you’re a native English speaker. Before you pack your bags, move, and buy an apartment in Bangkok though, there are important things you need to know.

You need to inform yourself of the different requirements for teaching in Thailand. For instance, the visa that foreigners need to retire in the country will not suffice. All foreigners entering Thailand, regardless of their type of visa, are not permitted to work without a work permit. Upon your arrival, you must apply for a work permit from the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour.

To work legally in Thailand, you will need a Non-Immigrant Visa “B”. According to the Thai Embassy, the requirements are as follows.

  • Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • Visa application form
  • Recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph
  • Letter of acceptance from employing institute
  • Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission
  • Diplomas or teaching certificates
  • School license or business registration, list of shareholders and school profile
  • Your resume
  • Police certificate verifying that you have no criminal record or equivalent, or letter issued by authorized agencies in applicant’s country

The application costs $80 USD and can be processed within two working days. The visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days although you can apply for an extension if you wish to stay longer.

Aside from the government requirements, you will also need to ask for the requirements of the institution where you intend to work. According to ESLAuthority.com, you will need to provide copies of your degree and transcript as well as proof of a TOEIC score of 600+ or IELTS score of 5+ if you’re from a non-native speaking country. A Master’s Degree is also necessary if you plan to teach in a university.

Aside from a salary, teachers can also receive other benefits such as housing, food, insurance, and bonuses. Retiring and teaching in Thailand is undoubtedly an incredible opportunity.


Want to retire and teach English in Thailand? Check out our condo units for sale in Bangkok!