Thailand is a destination that attracts many retirees because of the dream weather or the low cost of living. However, before retiring to the sun, you’ll need to obtain the VISA O-A which is specific to retirees over 50 years old. We’ll explain to you how to obtain it, and what it will allow you to do in Thailand!
The Terms of the Visa
This visa gives you the right to stay in Thailand for a year with multiple entries and exits. In other words, you can visit other Asian countries as you see fit. Nevertheless, keep in mind that every three months you will have to go to an immigration office to extend your visa. Note that from the second request, a bank deposit of 800,000 Baht in a bank in Thailand is mandatory to submit in the form of a recent certificate or a bank book.
Obtaining the Visa
In order to obtain your visa, you must first make an appointment at your Thai Embassy. Once the appointment is made, you must file of a number of documents (this may vary according to your home country):
- The passport (the original and a photocopy of the passport). The passport must be valid for at least 1 year and 6 months from the date of departure
- Three completed forms (signed and dated only by applicant)
- Three color passport photos
- Three photocopies of the passport
- Three copies of medical certificate
- Three copies of criminal record
- Three copies of proof of address in your home country (electricity bill, telephone bill, etc.)
- Three copies of proof of resources: a bank deposit of € 20,000 per applicant to be submitted in the form of a recent (original) bank certificate. Attention: Once the second request for this visa is made to the embassy, a bank deposit of 800,000 baht in a bank in Thailand is mandatory, proven in the form of a recent certificate or a bank book well updated (less than a month)
- Three CVs (positions held during the last 10 years before retirement)
- The sum of 150 € (cash only) for administrative fees.
Once the documents are handed over to Embassy staff, allow one week for processing the file.
If you want to know what activities to do in Thailand as a pensioner and the good places to settle, do not hesitate to consult our dedicated article by clicking here.